Learnovation Summit 2018
How can we empower learners to become adaptive leaders in the digital age? Last week’s Learnovation Summit 2018 sought to answer this question.
With Croke Park playing host to the Learnovation Summit, the stadium’s numerous tributes to GAA history and tradition provided a striking contrast to the main theme of this event – ‘leading and learning in the digital age’.
1) Adaptive learning is a data-driven concept. It offers a “right-fit” learning experience, which allows you to find out as much about the learner as possible and make informed adjustments based on the data.
2) What data sources can adaptive learning platforms take into account?
• Consumption of learning experiences
• Identified knowledge and growth gaps
• Current behaviours
• Current outcomes and performance
• Current feedback
3) Adaptive learning helps the learner find the best way to close their knowledge or skill gap. This is based on the demands of their current job, or the requirements of a future role. It allows training offerings to grow and adapt with the needs of an individual employee. A data profile of an individual is created in real time, fed into the system which then gives the individual tailored learning and support options when needed.
4) Technology is critical. Technology enables the adaptive learning experience, and it’s very difficult to scale this without very modern tech systems. The system is required to continuously take in vast amounts of multi-dimensional data and adjust the user experience according. Axonify is one good example of a genuinely adaptive learning tech platform.
5) Empower your people. Many employees across all industries have become accustomed to generic learning experiences within their companies. Therefore, it’s important to show how adaptive learning can genuinely benefit them in their current role and their progression to a future role.